Altitude sensor eye-bot

Requests regarding how to set up experiments in ARGoS.
emerckx

Altitude sensor eye-bot

Postby emerckx » Thu May 26, 2016 1:30 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to add an altitude sensor to my eye-bot, but there doesn't seem to be a default implementation for this sensor? Or am I doing something wrong?
Since it is a generic sensor, I should be able to use it on the eye-bot, no?

The code in the configuration file:

Code: Select all

<sensors> <altitude implementation="default" /> </sensors>
The error:
[FATAL] Failed to initialize the space.
[FATAL] Failed to initialize entity "eb1".
[FATAL] Failed to initialize controllable entity "controller_0".
[FATAL] Can't set controller for controllable entity "controller_0"
[FATAL] Symbol "altitude (default)" not found
Sincerely yours,
Ewout Merckx

pincy
Site Admin

Re: Altitude sensor eye-bot

Postby pincy » Thu May 26, 2016 3:24 pm

Hi Ewout,

At the moment there is no actual implementation of it, but you can use the positioning sensor, which gives the you same information.

Cheers,
Carlo
I made ARGoS.

emerckx

Postby emerckx » Thu May 26, 2016 6:59 pm

Hello Carlo,

Thank you for the quick reply.
We will figure something out then, because we want to know how much the eye-bot can decline before he's landed on an object.

Sincerely yours,
Ewout Merckx

pincy
Site Admin

Postby pincy » Thu May 26, 2016 7:11 pm

Hi Ewout,

Since your problem looks like a pretty general one, can you tell me a little more? I might add stuff to ARGoS so that a solution for you is a solution for many more.

Cheers,
Carlo
I made ARGoS.

emerckx

Postby emerckx » Thu May 26, 2016 10:41 pm

Hello Carlo,

In the experiment that I'm implementing, an eye-bot is flying around in the arena. But when it encounters an obstacle (a box, a cylinder, a self implemented sphere, ...), the eye-bot needs to ascend in the z-direction to go over the object. After that, the eye-bot goes forward to pass the object, and after he has passed the object he needs to return to his original height.
However, the eye-bot must sense that he has passed the object, which I was planning to do using the altitude sensor. When the current reading has more free space than the previous, he could decline in height.

So actually, I thought of using the altitude sensor as a distance sensor in the negative z direction.
And I hoped it would give the following results in the following cases:
- if no object beneath eye-bot: reading altitude sensor = reading of positioning sensor's z value.
- if object beneath eye-bot: reading altitude sensor = reading of positioning sensor's z value - height of that object

And as I mentioned in my previous post, it could also be used for landing on objects, because the eye-bot knows when it's safe to decline and when he can stop his motors.
Of course, the use case where eye-bots may not land on an object, is also possible in the simulator.

I hope this explanation clarifies the approach and the need for a sensor in the z-direction.

Sincerely yours,
Ewout Merckx

Return to “How to... ?”