play music fluently

Requests regarding how to set up experiments in ARGoS.
InnoBoy

play music fluently

Postby InnoBoy » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:08 pm

Hello,
I am making a simulation to play music with Lua.
However, when a bot plays music, the simulation stops for as long as the music ends.
Is there a way to run two bots' algorithms in parallel?
For example that bots can play music simultaneously without disturbing the simulation.

Thanks

pincy
Site Admin

Re: play music fluently

Postby pincy » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:12 pm

You need to extend the Lua controller to use threads, and run the simulation in real-time mode. ARGoS is not really designed for this use case, though. What should the music accomplish?
I made ARGoS.

InnoBoy

Postby InnoBoy » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:54 am

hello,
The aim is to play music when a bot hits an obstacle.
what does real-time mode mean? and what is the difference between this type of execution and normal execution?
thanks

pincy
Site Admin

Postby pincy » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:45 pm

ARGoS can run much faster than real-time - 100x times faster or more, depending on the user code. When using the GUI, this means using the "play" button; when not using the GUI, one needs to set a flag in the .argos file.

Can you share your code? There are many aspects of what you're trying to do that I can't grasp. ARGoS is not designed for this, it's not a game engine, but maybe something can be done.
I made ARGoS.

InnoBoy

Postby InnoBoy » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:52 pm

When a bot touches an obstacle, it emits a small sound according to the sensor in contact with the obstacle. I use for the moment a system command "play music.mp3".

lua code

Code: Select all

function step() sensingLeft = robot.proximity[3].value + robot.proximity[4].value + robot.proximity[5].value + robot.proximity[6].value sensingRight = robot.proximity[22].value+ robot.proximity[21].value + robot.proximity[20].value + robot.proximity[19].value if( sensingLeft ~= 0 ) then driveAsCar(25,-15) elseif( sensingRight ~= 0 ) then driveAsCar(25,10) else driveAsCar(30,0) end log("--Proximity Sensors bot 1--") for i = 1,24 do log("capteur: " .. i) log("Value: " .. robot.proximity[i].value) if robot.proximity[i].value > 0.5 then if i % 2 == 0 then -- check if sensors is pair log("play music pair") os.execute ("play musics/bip.mp3") else -- check if sensors is impair sensors log("play music impair") os.execute ("play musics/bop.mp3") end end end end
.argos code

Code: Select all

<framework> <experiment length="0" ticks_per_second="10" random_seed="100"/> <system threads="2" method ="balance_length"/> </framework> <controllers> <lua_controller id="lua1"><!-- controller of bot1 --> <actuators> <differential_steering implementation="default" /> <leds implementation="default" medium="leds" /> </actuators> <sensors> <differential_steering implementation="default" /> <footbot_motor_ground implementation="rot_z_only" /> <footbot_proximity implementation="default" show_rays="true" /> <colored_blob_omnidirectional_camera implementation="rot_z_only" medium="leds" show_rays="true" /> </sensors> <params script="./algo_bot/lua1.lua"/> </lua_controller> </controllers>

pincy
Site Admin

Postby pincy » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:42 pm

I see. I think that the easiest way to make this work would be to use threads. There are many Lua packages for threads, like for instance this one: https://github.com/torch/threads.
I made ARGoS.

InnoBoy

Postby InnoBoy » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:36 pm

Thank you for the replies, I'll try it.

Return to “How to... ?”