Multiple seeds

Requests regarding how to set up experiments in ARGoS.
AshwinRaviraj

Multiple seeds

Postby AshwinRaviraj » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:48 pm

Hi,
Is it possible to give an experiment multiple seeds, so when the experiment finishes it will restart with the next seed.
Or do I need to make a new .argos file and then run it with the new seed?

Best,
Ashwin

pincy
Site Admin

Re: Multiple seeds

Postby pincy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:05 pm

You can set the seed to 0. When you press the reset button, or call CSimulator::Reset(), a new one will be picked at random (see the code).

If you need the experiments to be repeatable, yet to use multiple seeds, a better approach is to create a template .argos file that you can fill in with a command like sed. This is what I usually do.
I made ARGoS.

AshwinRaviraj

Postby AshwinRaviraj » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:17 pm

Thank you!

So, would it be in the loop function /controller that I would need to pass the seed?
And how would it be possible for me to tell the controller to initiate the new experiment with the seed?

pincy
Site Admin

Postby pincy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:35 pm

You configure this in the .argos file. See the commented file here.

ARGoS is different from other simulators. No individual robot controls the simulator.
I made ARGoS.

AshwinRaviraj

Postby AshwinRaviraj » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:44 pm

I see, thank you for your help!

AshwinRaviraj

Postby AshwinRaviraj » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:43 am

After I Reset the loopfunction and start a new experiment, it looks like the controller is not getting reset?
How can I ensure that when I call cSimulation::Reset that the controller also will get reset?

pincy
Site Admin

Postby pincy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:06 pm

The controller is reset, see the code here. Also, because this is a different question, please create a new topic.
I made ARGoS.

AshwinRaviraj

Postby AshwinRaviraj » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:27 pm

Is this the correct way to reset an experiment and then giving it a new random seed, because it look like it can see that the agents are being placed the exact same place every time I reset the experiment..

Code: Select all

CSimulator &cSimulator = CSimulator::GetInstance(); cSimulator.SetExperimentFileName(PATH); cSimulator.LoadExperiment(); int ran = 124; for (int i = 0; i < iter; i++) { cSimulator.Execute(); ran = rand() % (max - min + 1) + min; cSimulator.Reset(ran); }
I can't figure out why the position of the robots are the same. Am I doing something wrong?

pincy
Site Admin

Postby pincy » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:48 pm

The simplest way to have ARGoS pick a different random at each Reset() is to set the random seed to 0 in the .argos file.
I made ARGoS.

AshwinRaviraj

Postby AshwinRaviraj » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:17 pm

True, that would be the simplest, but is it possible to set the seed to a value of own choosing?
The reason for this is because I would like to use the same seed for different .argos file setup.
- Yes I guess, I could hard code that exact seed, but is there someway to give the seed, just like the Reset() function?

Return to “How to... ?”