RoboNetSim (ARGoS + ns3) installation

Requests regarding how to set up experiments in ARGoS.
kemaldenizteket

RoboNetSim (ARGoS + ns3) installation

Postby kemaldenizteket » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:51 pm

Hi All,

I'm trying to install ARGoS+ns3 package. I downloaded it from http://www.idsia.ch/~gianni/SwarmRobotics/simulation/.

I followed the instructions from readme files in the folder. I installed argos2, I installed ns3. But when I tried to install RoboNetSim examples, I got an error shown in the screenshot (ss.png). I controlled the findargos.cmake file. I also controlled the cmakelists.txt files. Nothing seemed wrong to me.

I'm using macos 10.6.8. I also tried to install argos for macos from the official website.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
Attachments
ss.png
ss.png (55.74 KiB) Viewed 15530 times

pincy
Site Admin

Re: RoboNetSim (ARGoS + ns3) installation

Postby pincy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:47 pm

Hi,

The short answer is: change argos2-examples/CMakeLists.txt:5 from

Code: Select all

set(CMAKE_MODULE_PATH /usr/share/argos2 ${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/cmake)
into

set(CMAKE_MODULE_PATH /usr/local/share/argos2 ${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/cmake)
The explanation is the following.

As the output says, the problem is that CMake can't find the file FindARGoS.cmake.

This file should be located in /usr/share/argos2/.

Following the procedure in http://www.idsia.ch/~gianni/SwarmRoboti ... GoS/README, you end up installing ARGoS2 in /usr/local, which would then install FindARGoS.cmake in /usr/local/share/argos2.

The base CMakeLists.txt file in argos2-examples assumes that the installation path is /usr/share/argos2/, so you get that error.

Cheers,
Carlo
I made ARGoS.

kemaldenizteket

Postby kemaldenizteket » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:46 pm

Hi Carlo,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

After your explanation, I think I installed RoboNetSim correctly.

To run the RoboNetSim example explained in the readme file (third step of http://www.idsia.ch/~gianni/SwarmRoboti ... GoS/README), first I started ns3 (ns3ss.png). But when I tried to run argos, I got the message shown in the argos2ss.png.

In ARGoS documantation, it's said: "For the time being, the POV-Ray visualization plug-in is not supported on MacOSX."

I'm using MacOSX And in argos2ss.png the error is: "image not found".

Do you think is there a way to run RoboNetSim without visualization plug-in?

Additionally, I had "pyviz" errors while I was installing ns3. So I commented out "#include "pyviz.h"" and "PyViz v;" lines from scratch/swarnanoidIntegration.cc. I worked on ns3 platform before and I did not think that pyviz could be the problem. But I may be wrong of course.

Thank you very much for the support.

cheers,
kemal
Attachments
ns3ss.png
ns3ss.png (51.74 KiB) Viewed 15518 times
argos2ss.PNG
argos2ss.PNG (64.07 KiB) Viewed 15518 times

pincy
Site Admin

Postby pincy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:09 pm

Hi Kemal,
After your explanation, I think I installed RoboNetSim correctly.
Great! :-)
To run the RoboNetSim example explained in the readme file (third step of http://www.idsia.ch/~gianni/SwarmRoboti ... GoS/README), first I started ns3 (ns3ss.png). But when I tried to run argos, I got the message shown in the argos2ss.png.
The error you get is because ARGoS is looking for the library build/controllers/footbot_diffusion/libfootbot_diffusion.so, but can't find it.

Since you are on Mac, shared libraries have the extension .dylib. Thus, on your system, that library is actually called build/controllers/footbot_diffusion/libfootbot_diffusion.dylib.

To fix this problem in a way that is portable on both Linux and Mac, in diffusion_5_wifi_ns3.xml:20, change

library="build/controllers/footbot_diffusion/libfootbot_diffusion.so"
into

library="build/controllers/footbot_diffusion/libfootbot_diffusion"
Notice that in the fixed version the extension is missing. ARGoS will automatically try to add .so and .dylib, and in the second case it will find your library.

Since the path of the library is relative, you must be sure to launch the command 'argos -c' in the base directory of the examples. If you plan to launch ARGoS from another directory, consider using the absolute path to that library instead.
In ARGoS documantation, it's said: "For the time being, the POV-Ray visualization plug-in is not supported on MacOSX."

I'm using MacOSX And in argos2ss.png the error is: "image not found".

Do you think is there a way to run RoboNetSim without visualization plug-in?
These are completely different issues.

POVRay is an off-line visualization. You don't need it, unless you want to create high-quality videos. It has nothing to share with the graphical visualization based on OpenGL.

To run ARGoS without a visualization, in your XML file just remove content of the tag <visualizations> and substitute it with:

<visualizations />
Additionally, I had "pyviz" errors while I was installing ns3. So I commented out "#include "pyviz.h"" and "PyViz v;" lines from scratch/swarnanoidIntegration.cc. I worked on ns3 platform before and I did not think that pyviz could be the problem. But I may be wrong of course.
I don't know much about ns3. If it works, don't touch it :-)
If you have specific questions, I suggest you contact the authors of RoboNetSim (Gianni Di Caro and Michael Kudelski).
Thank you very much for the support.
No problem. Thank you for trying ARGoS out!
FYI: I am about to release a brand new version (ARGoS3), on which I worked for the past year. It's better than ARGoS2 in pretty much everything :-)

Cheers,
Carlo
I made ARGoS.

kemaldenizteket

Postby kemaldenizteket » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:27 am

Hi Carlo,

Thank you very much for your help.

I could not manage to install RoboNetSim over MacOS. But I installed it on Ubuntu 12.04 and ran the RoboNetSim example. I think there is a dependency problem with MacOS and I will try to solve it in time.

If anyone needs to install RoboNetSim over Ubuntu I can help =)

Best Regards,
Kemal

squiddon

Postby squiddon » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:28 am

Hi

Just been playing around with ARGoS 3 for use in my research. I stumbled across RoboNetSim which would save me a lot of time implementing networked based communication. Is it possible to use it in ARGoS 3 or is it strictly version 2-based?

Nick

pincy
Site Admin

Postby pincy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:43 pm

Hi Nick,

For the time being it's still based on version 2. I have planned to port it to ARGoS3, but so far I just haven't had the time yet.

Cheers,
Carlo
I made ARGoS.

squiddon

Postby squiddon » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:24 pm

Thanks for the response :)

I'll use ARGoS 2 for the time being and follow the instructions posted earlier.

squiddon

Postby squiddon » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:08 pm

Actually, I was wondering if it's possible to pass messages between robots in ARGoS 3 via a network protocol?

I'm trying to compare distributed and centralised control methods of multi robot systems.

pincy
Site Admin

Postby pincy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:25 pm

Sure, it's possible. A simple way would be to do it in the loop functions, similarly to what's done in the foraging example.

Let me know if you need more specific guidance.

Cheers,
Carlo
I made ARGoS.

Return to “How to... ?”