Box pushing - Different box weights

Requests regarding how to set up experiments in ARGoS.
aaron-reuven

Box pushing - Different box weights

Postby aaron-reuven » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:16 pm

I'm trying to make a box pushing experiment that has multiple boxes of different weights (mass).
For example, have a box that 1 robots is capable to pus, a box that 2 robots are capable to push, etc...
The problem I found is that the mass difference between the box and the robots (assuming all robots are of the same weight) doesn't affect if they CAN push only the speed at which they push the box. What I found that does affect the ability to push a box is the global value of box_linear_friction and the robots MAX_FORCE value.
Which this doesn't help me produce the experiment I desire. Is there a way to remedy this? Is there a way to have boxes of different friction values (this could solve my issue and produce the experiment I need)? Or is there a different way where the ability to push could also be affected by the mass?
Thanks in advanced.

pincy
Site Admin

Re: Box pushing - Different box weights

Postby pincy » Tue May 07, 2024 4:41 pm

Hello Aaron,

The equations of motion of the boxes are standard, if you're using the dynamics 2d engine. Did you try writing down some equations for your system, where you assume a maximum force for the robots and the presence of friction for the boxes? If you have that down, we could have a meeting to chat about your use case. You can schedule a meeting with me at https://carlo.pinciroli.net/meetings.html.
I made ARGoS.

Return to “How to... ?”