RoboNetSim patch fails to work when applied to Argos3

Requests regarding how to set up experiments in ARGoS.
pkg

RoboNetSim patch fails to work when applied to Argos3

Postby pkg » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:16 pm

I applied the RoboNetSim patch http://goo.gl/fZa3kv
to argos2, and copied all the resulting files to Argos3 code base, at the relevant locations. I also applied the wifi patch to diffusion-10.argos (instead of to the xml ), pasted here: http://pastebin.com/tuFv0c8e.

Here is the message I get on recompiling and installing the patched argos3, and running argos3 -c diffusion_10.argos:
[FATAL] Failed to initialize the space.
[FATAL] Error while trying to distribute entities
[FATAL] Failed to initialize entity "fb0".
[FATAL] Failed to initialize controllable entity "controller_0".
[FATAL] Can't set controller for controllable entity "controller_0"
[FATAL] Symbol "wifi (extern)" not found

In addition, argos doesn't recognize the wifi actuator, sensor or entity. My files are laid out like this:
http://pastebin.com/VfuiBa0s

I'd like a high-level answer to:
What kind of debugging should I do to make the wifi actuator, sensor and entity recognizable?

I'll be happy to provide more details, or content of files, as needed.

pincy
Site Admin

Re: RoboNetSim patch fails to work when applied to Argos3

Postby pincy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:29 am

Hi pkg,

ARGoS3 is a complete rewrite of ARGoS2. It's not surprising that a patch made for ARGoS2 does not work with ARGoS3.

The right way to go with ARGoS3 would be to make a dedicated plugin in a new repository, rather than patching the source code of ARGoS3. I think that the authors of the system should fix the code, although I doubt they would do it after so much time :-)

I can try to have a look at the code and see if something can be done to make RoboNetSim work also with ARGoS3.

Can I ask you what you're trying to achieve, i.e., what kind of experiment?

Cheers,
Carlo
I made ARGoS.

pkg

Postby pkg » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:40 am

I can understand that perhaps a new sensor/actuator pair needs to be written for Argos3.

Please do take a look at the patch, to see if anything can be salvaged. Having tried to manually patch argos3, my strong feeling is that a large hunk can be applied.

I'm working on certain multi-robot tasks require network communication. I've found ROS unsuitable for the purpose, for Gazebo needs patches to simulate multiple robots - and that gets slow very soon. Hence argos. Once I have a working argos+ns3 setup, I plan to write some sort of distributed coordination protocol that runs on a mobile ad-hoc network.

pincy
Site Admin

Postby pincy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:44 am

Cool! OK, I'll have a look at the code and see if I can make it work. I have a deadline this week, so I can't work on it just yet. I think I can get my hands on it at the end of next week.
I made ARGoS.

pkg

Postby pkg » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:36 am

Carlo,
Instead of bothering with the patch at such a busy time, could you add a note on the argos website about how to add a new sensor / actuator? Hopefully, that will be enough for me to start with. And also, it may be easier for you to do so. If you're too busy, then I totally understand.

pincy
Site Admin

Postby pincy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:07 pm

Just a few lines to tell you that I'm fighting with my deadline, but will work on the issue next week. I'll see if it's less work to just fix the code or write a generic manual. I've been wanting to write a full manual for quite a while, but I keep having little time to dedicate to this :(
I made ARGoS.

pincy
Site Admin

Postby pincy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:15 am

Hi,

an update on the work: I'm doing a package for ARGoS3 and NS-3, and written part of the manual. In the meantime, if you want to get started, you can find the version of ARGoS2 for which the original RoboNetSim patch was made here.

I'm still fighting with deadlines, but the work is proceeding.

Cheers,
Carlo
I made ARGoS.

Return to “How to... ?”